Attention: This car is currently in a non-publicly accessible part of the museum. Viewing of the car is possible by appointment only.
This Mercedes-Benz 300 Cabriolet D was sold new in the USA and was for the first time registered on July 1, 1952. In 1994 the car was imported from the USA to Germany by our fellow antique car company Mika GMBH from Mölln. They sold it in 1995 to a German collector. The new owner wished a restoration, this has be done by the company Hauben Auf from Hamburg. This firm did a complete restoration: bodywork, shafts, engine, etc., all has be done and is well-documented in the bills which come with the car. When the restoration in 1996 was done the owner hat invested, including the purchase of the car, an amount of DM 439,638.69, in euros this will be approximately € 225,000.
After the death of the first German car owner in 2004 the car was registered on the name of his daughter in law. She sold the car to a Dutchman who registered the car in the Netherlands in May 2006. Until today, the car was always with this Dutch owner. After import from the USA the car is in fact, not counting the daughter in law, a two owner car. It is a pity but we don’t know anything of the history of the car when it was in the USA.
This 300 Cabriolet D is a car from the much sought after first series. Wanted because this first series were not yet been provided with trip windows, the straight open line when the windows are down gives a much nicer side view, especially with hood open, compared to the subsequent series. Also this series has a beautiful sculpted back with a low and wide taillight configuration. The low production number of only 466 units in combination with the top condition of the car makes this 300 Cabriolet D a very rare car. This 300 Cabriolet D is for the connoisseur a not to be missed car!
The Mercedes-Benz W186 model 300 was a four-door luxury tourer produced by Mercedes-Benz between 1951 and 1957. The company's largest and most prestigious automobile, it was the Maybach of its day, elegant, powerful, exclusive, and expensive. Three versions were produced in succession, known informally as the 300a (or simply 300), 300b, and 300c. An enlarged "300d" variant built on the W189 chassis succeeded it in late 1957.
Also referred to as a "Type 300", the W186 was equal in features and price but superior in performance to the rival Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud. Favored by statesmen and business leaders, it offered options such as a glass partition, VHF mobile telephone, and dictation machine.
All but hand-built as the company flagship, the W186 is often identified as an Adenauer after Konrad Adenauer, the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, who employed six custom cabriolet, hardtop saloon, and landaulet versions of the W186 and its successor W189 during his 1949-1963 tenure. Among the custom features in these "parade cars" were writing desks, sirens, curtains, dividing partitions, sunroofs, and half-roof "landaulet" configurations.
Technologically advanced, the 300 was regarded as a "driver's" car, sharing numerous design innovations and mechanical components with the iconic Mercedes-Benz 300 SL "Gullwing", including engine, suspension, and chassis.
The four door 300 (W186) was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in April 1951 and entered series production in November 1951. It had no "a" designation, which was informally added, along with the "b" and "c", by later enthusiasts seeking to distinguish the three W186 generations.
Available as both a saloon and cabriolet, it featured graceful modernist bodywork atop Mercedes' proven X-frame chassis. An all new 3.0 L (2996 cc/182 in³) overhead cam, aluminum head M186 straight-6 was coupled to a 4-speed all-synchromesh manual gearbox. Twin downdraft Solex carburetors and an innovative diagonal head-to-block joint that allowed for oversized intake and exhaust valves produced 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp) at a 6.4:1 compression ratied to give reliable service under prolonged hard use. With no natural cruising speed, the car could sustain anything up to its maximum speed all day, road conditions permitting.
The combination of a rigid X-shaped ovoid steel tube frame and four-wheel independent suspension provided surprisingly nimble handling. Double wishbones, coil springs, and a stabilizer bar were used up front and Mercedes' typical double coil spring swing axle in rear. An innovative dashboard-operated rear load-leveling suspension engaged a torsion bar to increase stiffness by one-third when needed, and a pedal-operated central lubrication system kept friction points silent. Brakes were hydraulic drum all around, steering worm-and-sector, replaced in 1952 by recirculating ball.
A total of only 466 Cabriolet Ds were produced through September, 1955.
1952 Mercedes-Benz 300 cabriolet D (W186)
Do you want to have a close look at this Mercedes-Benz 300 Cabriolet D (Adenauer) yourself? Please buy a ticket for the museum and visit us or make an appointment by entering your data in the contact form below. We will contact you as soon as possible.