This is a beautiful 1915 Overland Model 83B Touring Car that was professionally restored back in the early 70's by Wilkinson & Sharp Fine Restorations in Pennsylvania. It was an expensive high quality restoration and still looks beautiful today. The car has it's AACA Old Dominion Senior Award badge on the dash that it probably won soon after it's restoration. As part of a private collection for many years the car was run on occasion but spent much of it's time in storage. Since August 2013 the car is in the Netherlands where it was in very good hands. The interior of the car is in beautiful condition and the back of the front seat has a blanket rail and it's original polished aluminum foot rest on the floor. The front dash is stunning and the steering wheel and column look like new. The glass is in beautiful shape as is the trim.
The paint on the car is lacquer and is still extremely nice. The underside of the car is beautiful and the front end along with the rear end look like new. The engine compartment has been completely detailed and appears as new. The radiator is the original honeycomb style in excellent condition with it's original Overland Serial number badge on the inside. It also has it's brass Overland script along with the 1915 brass script on the radiator. Below is a list of items completed:
• Starter checked and rebuilt;
• Generator checked and rebuilt;
• Magneto rebuilt by Marks magneto service;
• New Carter electric fuel pump;
• Checked valves, rings and installed new head gasket;
• Removed pan and checked rods and bearings;
• New manifold gaskets;
• Rebuilt carburetor;
• New muffler and tail pipe;
Comes with it's original crank, hub cap wrench and wheel puller. There is almost no history with the car, there is some original advertising literature.
In 1908, John Willys bought the Overland Automotive Division of Standard Wheel Company and in 1912 renamed it Willys-Overland Motor Company. From 1912 to 1918, Willys was the second-largest producer of automobiles in the United States after Ford Motor Company. In 1913, Willys acquired a license to build the Charles Knight's sleeve-valve engine which it used in cars bearing the Willys-Knight nameplate. In the mid- 1920s, Willys also acquired the F.B. Stearns Company of Cleveland and assumed continued production of the Stearns-Knight luxury car, as well. John Willys acquired the Electric Auto-Lite Company in 1914 and in 1917 formed the Willys Corporation to act as his holding company. In 1917, Ward M. Canaday, who had been doing advertising for the company, became a full-time employee. Canady joined the Willys-Overland company in 1916, rising to become Chairman of the Board and President of the company. One of the most important successes of Canaday's reign at Willys-Overland was the creation of the Willys MB, the vehicle that would later gain the moniker of Jeep and would be called "America's greatest contribution to modern warfare" by General George C. Marshall.
In 1916, Willys acquired the Russell Motor Car Company of Toronto, Ontario, by 1917 New Process Gear, and in 1919 acquired the Duesenberg Motors Company plant in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The New Jersey plant was replaced by a new, larger facility in Indianapolis, and was to be the site of production for a new Willys Six at an adjacent site, but the 1920 recession brought the Willys Corporation to its knees. The bankers hired Walter P. Chrysler to sort out the mess and the first model to go was the Willys Six, deemed an engineering disaster. Chrysler had auto engineers Owen Skelton, Carl Breer, and Fred Zeder begin work on a new car, which was often referred to as the Chrysler Six. To raise cash needed to pay off debts, many of the Willys Corporation assets were put on the auction block. The Elizabeth plant and the Chrysler Six prototype were sold to William C. Durant, then in the process of building a new, third empire. The plant built Durant's low-priced Star, while the Chrysler Six prototype was improved and modified, becoming the 1923 Flint. Walter Chrysler and the three engineers who had been working on the Chrysler Six all moved on to Maxwell-Chalmers where they continued their work, ultimately launching the six - c under Chrysler in January 1924.
1915 Overland Model 83B open tourer
Do you want to have a close look at this Overland Model 83B open tourer yourself? Please buy a ticket for the museum and visit us or make an appointment by entering your data in the contact form below. We will contact you as soon as possible.