The MG Car Company derived its name from Morris Garages, owned by William Morris a dealer of Morris cars in Oxford which began producing its own customised versions. Best known for its two-seat open sports cars, MG also produced saloons and coupés. The MG business was Morris's personal property until 1935.
MG was absorbed with Morris into The British Motor Corporation in 1952. In 2005 after several name changes and joint ventures, MG was for example part of British Leyland and Rover, the brand was bought by the Nanjing Automobile Group which created a new company, MG Motor. New models are still produced today.
The first car which can be described as an all new MG, rather than a modified Morris, was the MG 18/80 of 1928 which had a purpose designed chassis and the first appearance of the traditional vertical MG grille. A smaller car was launched in 1929, the first of a long line of Midgets. MG established a name for itself in the early days of the sport of international automobile racing. Beginning before and continuing after World War II, MG produced a line of cars known as the T-Series Midgets which, post-war, were exported worldwide, achieving greater success than expected. The MG T series included the TA, TB, TC, TD, and TF Midget models. The last of these models, the TF, was replaced by the MGA.
More than 100,000 units of the MGA were made until the end of production in 1962, of which only 6,000 were sold in the UK, the rest were exported. The completely new design of the MGA was nothing like its predecessors. The chassis, body and engine were completely new. The MGA was available as a roadster and coupé. Only the latter was equipped with door handles.
In 1962 MG introduced the MGB as successor to the MGA. This new model, that shared many parts with its predecessor, had an attractive design and was extremely strong. However, unlike its predecessor, the MGB had a monocoque construction. During its production years (1962-1980) the MGB underwent a gradual evolution on the exterior. The capacity and the power of the engine, however, changed very little during those years. The 1798 cc engine produced 95 hp at 5400 rpm.
The MGB roadster was the first of the series to be introduced in 1962. Although shorter than the MGA, the MGB roadster offered more room for passengers and luggage. In 1967, a first update was presented, the Mark II. To meet with American regulations, the US-version was equipped with three instead of two wipers and a dashboard covered with foam rubber to enhance safety. The MGB was one of the first cars with a crumple zone. In 1972, the Mark III was presented, with the biggest changes in the interior, specifically the dashboard. The cars were fitted with additional safety features, such as rubber-coated bumpers.
1980 MG B Tourer US
Do you want to have a close look at this MG B Tourer US yourself? Please buy a ticket for the museum and visit us or make an appointment by entering your data in the contact form below. We will contact you as soon as possible.